Chemical Respiratory Guide
Chemical Respiratory Chart
Download a printable version
|Chemical Name||CAS Number||Filter Type||Suggested Product||TLV(t) PEL(o)||IDLH||Comments|
|5 mg/m3 (t)||t-A4|
|5 mg/m3 (o)(t);||5,000 mg/m3||ACGIH NIC to delete STEL; t-A3|
|Total dust 15 mg/m3 (o),|
10 mg/m3 (t)
5 mg/m3 (o)
|0.5 ppm (t)|
|Oil Mist (Mineral);||RP||2740R95/8970|
|5 mg/m3 (o)(t)*;|
10 mg/m3 (s)(t)
|2,500 mg/m3||*Measured as inhalable fraction and vapor|
|Paraffin Wax Fume||8002-74-2||RP||2740R95/|
EXPLANATION OF GUIDE FORMAT
- OSHA PermissibleExposure Limits (PEL)
- American Conference of GovernmentalIndustrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- Threshold Limit Values (TLV)
- ChemicalAbstracts Service (CAS)
- IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health)<
- LEL (Lower Explosion
- "N" means Dusts and Non-Oil Based Mists
- "R" means Dusts, and Oil and Non-Oil Based Mists with time restrictions
- "P" means Dusts and Oil and Non-Oil Based Mists, extended life for Dusts and Non-Oil Based Mists
- "AM" means Ammonia/Methylamine
- "AG" means Acid Gas
- "FORM" means Formaldehyde
- "OV" means Organic Vapor
- "OV/AG" means Organic Vapor/Acid Gas
- "MULTI" means Multi Gas/Vapor
- "95" means 95% efficient
- "99" means 99% efficient
- "100" means 99.97% efficient
- "/" means OR. For example, 8970/8940 means you may use either filter.
- "FF" means full face respirator; 9000 is sugg
- An "o" next to exposure limit indicates it is an OSHA PEL.
- A "t" indicates it is an ACGIH TLV.
- A"c"indicates that it is a ceiling valuewhich refers to the concentrationthat should not be exceeded at anytime during work exposure.
- An"s" appears next to a limit this indicates that it is a short termexposure limit (STEL
- A "skin" designation indicates that the substance can be absorbed throughthe skin, eyes or mucous membranes and appropriate measures must betaken to avoid absorption.
- A "SEN" indicates TLV-confirmed potential for worker sensitization as a resultof dermal contact and/or inhalation exposure based on the weightof scientific evidence.
ACGIH designates carcinogens as follows:
- TLV-A1 (t-A1): Confirmed Human Carcinogen
- TLV-A2 (t-A2): Suspected Human Carcinogen
- TLV-A3 (t-A3): Confirmed Animal Carcinogen with Unknown Relevance to Humans
- TLV-A4 (t-A4): Not Classifiable as a Human Carcinogen
- TLV-A5 (t-A5): Not Suspected as a Human Carcinogen